On July 20, 1948, at 8:30 p.m., a group of Christians congregated in the home of Deacon and Sister John Kitchen on Cedar Avenue. The purpose of this meeting was to organize a community Sunday school. Those in attendance were Deacon Paul E. Hinton, Deacon Arthur Dunlap, Sister Gertrude Dunlap, Sister Dorothy Phillips, Sister Sebetta Warren, Sister Minnie Ford, Sister Hattie Kitchen, and Sister Ethel Wilson. The first officers elected were Superintendent Deacon Paul E. Hinton, Chairman of the Board of Deacons, Mt. Moriah Baptist Church in Baltimore City, Assistant Superintendent Hattie Kitchen, Secretary Gertrude Dunlap, and Treasurer Deacon Arthur Lee Dunlap. The first session was held on July 25, 1948, at three o'clock in the afternoon.
A few weeks later, the Lord blessed this group with 74 members. The group continued to hold Sunday school sessions in the basement of their homes and other suitable buildings. Finally, they were able to rent a small building on Washington Blvd. near Cedar Avenue for the sum of $12.00 per month. In 1949, the Rev. S.S Riley of Baltimore, Maryland, acted as Moderator of the group, at which time the group was set apart as a mission. The Rev. Samuel A. Carter of Guilford, Maryland, was the first Minister to serve this group. His service lasted for eleven months. After the resignation of Rev. Carter in December 1949, Rev. Johnnie M. Moore was called to replace him. Because this was a community setup consisting of several denominations, this group had many denominational difficulties as well as other inward problems. Rev. Johnnie Moore's service to the group ended in 1951.
The group at this time, guided by the Chairman of the Board of Deacons, Deacon William Adams, and the Chairman of the Trustee Board, Brother Thomas J. King, advised that it be made for a Church Charter. In August 1951, the Charter was granted. The Rev. W.H. White of Baltimore City set the mission apart as the Community Church Inc. of Waterloo, Maryland.
In 1951, the Rev. Theodore C. Jackson, Pastor of Gillis Memorial Church, recommended a beloved friend of his, the Rev. James G. Washington of South Carolina, to pastor the Community Church. Rev. Washington, a devoted Pastor who worked diligently with the church, was installed as minister in September 1952. Also, in 1952, the Waterloo Community Club Inc. gave the Church a lot to build a new edifice. Groundbreaking services were held. Much of the money and materials were donated by both black and white. Because of the shortage of funds, Rev. Washington and his members assumed the task of building without the aid of a contractor. The new building was ready for service in May 1954. Pastor Washington, 28 members, and well-wishing friends marched into the new building.
On October 19, 1952, Rev. J. Timothy Boddie and a council of ministries of Baltimore City set this Community Church apart as a Baptist church under the Baptist Hiscox. During this time, the Church members split due to different ideas, and the First Christian Community Church of Waterloo was founded.
In 1957, Rev. Washington was called to Pastor a church in Greenville, SC. Shortly after his departure, Rev. John G. Dean, a son of Faith Baptist Church, Baltimore, MD, was called. The membership increased smartly, and several improvements were made to the building. God terminated Rev. Dean's Service in 1966 by calling him from labor to reward.
In April 1967, Rev. Robert T. Hurte, another son of Faith Baptist Church, was elected minister. In August 1967, he officially took charge, and in October 1967, the Rev. Dr. Walter E. Paige, Pastor of Faith Baptist Church, installed him. Much was accomplished under the guidance of the almighty leadership of Rev. Hurte. He proved himself a man called, equipped, and sent by God to do the work of the kingdom.
God blessed his Servant, Rev. Hurte, with a vision. In the fall of 1976, this vision became a reality with a groundbreaking ceremony for a new church building. In the spring of 1977, the men of the church vowed to be their own contractors. Deacon Berkley McGhee was appointed chair of the Building Committee, and on Monday, November 28, 1977, the groundbreaking service was held on the property adjacent to the church. In April 1977, the men of the church, under the direction of William S. Brown, a truck driver and member of the church, began the work on the building, which was to take three years and two months to be ready for occupancy. On Sunday, July 20, 1980, a large crowd of members, neighbors, and friends marched into the new Church. The Church has a seating capacity of 400.